Thursday, November 10, 2005

on the spot

have you had to make 'important' decisions on the spot. it's really upsetting when it can be avoided and i'm still upset about it. it's partly my fault, sometimes i think i'm too soft a person.

i got a call yesterday nite. the caller request permission for one of my staff to assist in a project for about a week. an urgent reply is needed as the dateline is today and all the paperwork have to be in this morning.

will i be willing to allow my staff to assist them ? yes i said but please get the permission from my superior as well. there might be some bad blood between units and i don't want to get caught in the middle.

ok, the caller said, i'll call and ask permission from your superior saying you are ok with it.

hmm.... i'm thinking this would make me seem like i'm together in the plot to 'force' my superior's hand to say yes to the request. as i've already said ok, there should be really no objection.

the unit has asked me beforehand and i've told them to e-mail a formal request to my superior and cc to me as well. that way everyone is informed and i would say it's ok when my superior asks me. well the e-mail did not materialise and the call was only made around 7pm, after office hour. now how _________(fill in the blanks) is that?!

i hope they get what they want coz in future it'll be a big fat NO from me if it's not done by the book.

not easy when you want to help others.

0 Old Comments: